Wednesday, April 1, 2015

What’s so good about this Good Friday?

Have you ever wondered why they call it “Good Friday”?  If you look at what happened on that day, it doesn't seem good at all.  An innocent man was brutally beaten, tortured and hung up on a cross by religious leaders and a ruthless government. 

However, the “man” wasn't just a man and what happened was much more than it may seem at first glance.

Here’s what’s good about what happened and why you and I should celebrate.

The “man” wasn't just a man.  He was the one and only Jesus.  And He wasn’t executed or murdered.  The religious people and the Roman government didn’t kill him.  They couldn't do it.  Instead, He chose to lay down His life.  He did it for a very specific reason.  Here it is:

Jesus gave up His life on that cross for you, me, your neighbors, your kids, your family…all of us.  He did it to give us a huge, eternal, once-and-for-all  life do-over!

That’s why we should celebrate!   The Lord doesn't expect you to be perfect or even good before you come to Him.  Jesus is the only perfect person who has ever lived.  So the pressure has been taken off of you and me.

What happened on Good Friday is so much more than I can describe in this blog post.  The point I hope you walk-away with here is that the Lord offers all of us a fresh start.  All of us need new beginnings from time to time.  None of us are perfect.  In fact, we’re all “messed up” in one way or another. 

When Jesus gave up His life on that cross, he did it to say, “I’ve got you”.  “I’ll take your messed-up life.”  “I’ll pay for that huge mistake you made.”  “I’ll be your advocate.”  “I’ve got your back.”  “Yes, I do love you anyway and there’s nothing you can do to change that.”


If you ask me, that’s a pretty “Good Friday”.

No comments:

Post a Comment